Traversing Ayala Avenue in Makati CBD
The Ayala Avenue is one of the main roads that traverses the Makati Central Business District (CBD). Jeepneys and buses pass through this road everyday. Embarking and disembarking in Ayala Ave. can be tricky for those who are new to this place or those who don’t go here often because it has alternating segments where commuters are allowed to embark or disembark.
- From EDSA to Makati Avenue: Rustan’s, Glorietta, Ritz Towers, Discovery Primea. Drivers of public utility vehicle (PUV) usually refers to this unloading zone as “Rustan’s” so you can tell them “Rustan’s” if you want to alight here even if it’s not your actual destination.
- From Paseo De Roxas to V.A. Rufino St: Insular Life Building, BPI Building, PBCom Tower, SSS Makati. PUV drivers usually refers to this unloading zone as “PBCom” or “Paseo” so you may mention these places if you want to disembark in this segment of Ayala Ave.
- From Makati Ave. to Paseo De Roxas: Makati Stock Exchange, Ayala Tower One, The Enterprise Center, Allied Bank Center.
- From V.A. Rufino St. to Salcedo St: Convergys One Building, GT Tower, SLC Building, Rufino Pacific Tower.
Some of the PUV routes that pass through Ayala Ave. are the following:
- Ayala-Washington jeepneys: There is a terminal in which the jeepneys bear the signs “Ayala” and “Washington”; it is situated at the back of Shell gasoline station at EDSA corner McKinley Road and across McKinley Exchange Corporate Center. These jeepneys will cross EDSA and traverse Ayala Ave., up to Malugay St. near Makati Central Fire Station. They will then move around the block where The Columns is situated before traversing Gil Puyat Ave. You can reach this jeepney terminal via EDSA either by riding MRT and alighting at MRT Ayala Station or by riding a bus that is traversing EDSA and disembarking at Ayala Bus Stop (Bus Stop B).
- LRT Ayala buses along EDSA: For those coming from the northern cities (Quezon City, Caloocan, Marikina, Mandaluyong, and Pasig), a more practical method is to ride a bus at EDSA with signage “LRT Ayala Leveriza”. This bus will take a right turn at Ayala Avenue and traverse its length from EDSA to Malugay St., loop around The Columns, and traverse Gil Puyat towards Taft Ave. where its route will end and then go to the opposite direction.
- Taft Avenue – Buendia intersection: If you are coming from somewhere along Taft Avenue, disembark at Gil Puyat Ave. (also called Buendia) and board a bus with EDSA in the signage. (These are the same buses mentioned in the previous item but now, they are backtracking their route.) You can also take LRT Line 1 and alight at LRT Gil Puyat Ave. Station. The best place to board a bus is in front of EGI Shopping Mall at the corner of Gil Puyat and Taft Ave. It is connected to LRT station but not all jeepneys pass in front of it. After traversing Gil Puyat, it will turn right to Ayala Ave. and head straight to EDSA.
As mentioned, there are two unloading zones from where you can disembark the bus or jeepney. Below are the unloading zones (those at opposite sides of Ayala are listed as one) and the buildings near them.
The following buildings are most conveniently accessible if you disembark at the unloading zone between EDSA and Makati Ave. PUV drivers usually refer to this unloading zone as “Rustan’s”:
The following buildings are most conveniently accessible if you disembark at the unloading zone between Paseo De Roxas and V.A. Rufino St. PUV drivers usually refer to this unloading zone as “Paseo” or “PBCom”:
- PBCom Tower
- Alphaland Tower
- Robinsons Summit Center
- Philamlife Tower
- Security Bank Centre
- Smart Tower
- Rufino Pacific Tower
- Makati Sky Plaza
- Solaris One
- Ayala Tower One
- The Enterprise Center
- GT Tower
- Multinational Bancorporation Centre
- LKG Tower
- Ayala Life FGU Center – Makati
- Lepanto Building
Even though not a designated bus stop, the sidewalk surrounding The Columns is no longer bound to the rule of alternating loading/unloading zones of Ayala Avenue, and thus passengers in jeepneys and buses coming from EDSA may request to be dropped-off there. The following buildings are most conveniently accessible if you disembark at this sidewalk.